If Coq Au Vin sounds a little French to you….that’s probably because it is. French for “yummy chicken and vegetables simmered together in a delicious wine-sauce that makes your house smell like heaven.”
That’s not a direct translation, but I’d say it’s pretty close based on my experience. And while the French likely stayed at home utilitzing a traditional slow-cook, method, I’m willing to accomadate a bit and use my slow cooker.
I put this together for some awesome friends who go to my church after they had their first baby & it turned out pretty decent!
And thus I give you: Coq Au Vin
- 8 Chicken Thighs
- 1 T Salt
- 1 t Pepper
- 4 Slices Bacon
- ¼ Cup Coconut Flour
- 2 T Butter
- 12 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 4 Carrots, Peeled and Chopped
- 1 Heat Garlic, Peeled & Chopped
- 1 Sweet Onion, Chopped
- ½ Cup Chicken Broth or Water
- 1½ Cups Red Cooking Wine
- 3 Fresh Springs Rosemary or Thyme (can sub dry)
- Mix together flour, salt and pepper and coat chicken thighs.
- Cook bacon in pan until crisp and set aside to cook.
- Cook chicken thighs in drippings (add a bit of olive oil if needed) on medium/high heat approx 4 minutes per side until browned. Transfer to plate.
- Melt butter and cook garlic and onions, add carrots after a few minutes and cook until soft adding mushrooms last.
- Transfer chicken and veggies to crockpot adding the wine and broth.
- Crumble bacon and sprinkle on top along with herbs.
- Cook on low 6-7 hours.
- Season with salt & pepper if needed.
Linked up: Show Me What You Got Tuesday,Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesday, Simple Supper Tuesday, AntiProcrastination Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Backyard Farming Connection, Tuesday Greens, Healthy Tuesday Hop, Share It, The Gathering Spot, Party Wave Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Fluster Buster, Whats Cookin Wednesdays, Cast Party Wednesday, Tasty Traditions, Pinterest Power, Thriving on Thursday, Create it Thursday, Thank Your Body Thursday, All Things Thursday, Natural Living Linkup, Thinktank Thursday, Full Plate Thursday,